Thank You for Using Your Will to Create a Better Life for Others
A bequest to Presbyterian Support Upper South Island (USI) is a simple way to make a big impact:
- your gift will fund social services that create a better New Zealand for all who live here, regardless of circumstance, culture, or religion,
- your gift will help vulnerable people of all ages to become safe, strong, and connected,
- whatever its size, your gift will make a positive difference, and
- you will ensure your values and beliefs live on to benefit others.
If you would like information about making a bequest to Presbyterian Support USI, including a printed copy of our bequest booklet, please e-mail email@example.com or phone Megan Waddington at (03) 363-8209. We would love to hear from you.
How Your Bequest Will Help Others
Your bequest could be used long into the future for:
- Programmes for older people who are at risk of social isolation
- counselling for children impacted by family violence, earthquakes, or other challenges
- social work services to help families through tough times
- parenting programmes for mums and dads
- budgeting advice so people can manage their own finances
Your bequest can be “for general purposes” to allow us to use your gift where it is most needed. Or you can specify a particular area of our work.
Types of Bequests
A solicitor or professional trustee can make sure your wishes are clearly communicated in your Will.
Bequests can be any of the following:
- Residual: a gift from the remainder of your estate after providing for your loved ones and settling any taxes and charges.
- Percentage: a specified percentage of your estate.
- Specific/ pecuniary: a specified amount of money, items of property, stocks or shares.
- Whole estate: an entire estate is usually left by someone without beneficiaries or who wants to achieve something very significant.
Gifts come in all sizes and, no matter the amount, are all incredibly meaningful.
Appreciation and Recognition – The Kowhai Club
If you have chosen to include Presbyterian Support USI in your Will, please let us know. Simply because we would love to thank you personally.
You will then become a member of our Kowhai Club—a very special group of people who have advised us that they are leaving a bequest.
Of course, your bequest can remain confidential if you wish.
Bequests in Action
A Gift for Out of Gate
When John R. Lang passed away, his caring bequest went towards Out of Gate, our service that helps women being released from prison who are trying to reconnect with their community. Thanks to John Lang’s generosity these women each receive a pack of essential toiletries and other basic necessities to help them get started.
The Dennis Moore Scholarship Fund
Thanks to the generosity of Rev. Dennis Moore, every year, six West Coast youth receive a scholarship towards their tertiary education. Learn more here.
For Executors and Solicitors: Will Wording
If you are helping someone prepare a will or add to their existing will, use the following suggested wording:
“I give to Presbyterian Support Upper South Island the sum of $XXX (or the residue of my estate, or a percentage of my estate) for its general purposes. I declare that the official receipt of Presbyterian Support Upper South Island will be sufficient receipt and discharge for my trustees.”
Our Charities Commission number is CC21765
A Lawyer’s Perspective on Charitable Bequests
We asked Tracy Yarrell of Duncan Cotterill law firm what advice she would give to people considering leaving a bequest to their favourite charity. Her response? “Use a lawyer”.
To learn what other advice Tracy had to share, read the full story here.
In Lieu of Flowers…
Instead of sending flowers please give some thought to asking family and friends to consider making a donation in lieu of flowers to Presbyterian Support Upper South Island.
Donations can either be made at the funeral service or posted to Presbyterian Support Upper South Island, PO Box 13171, Christchurch 8141.
All in‐memorium donations are receipted where details are provided.
What Our Supporters Say
“I have been associated with Presbyterian Support as a supporter over many years. I am particularly enthusiastic about the amazing work they are doing out in the community in so many ways.”
“Through my bequest I am able to leave a tangible memorial to help Presbyterian Support carry on their much-needed services.”
If you would like information about making a bequest to Presbyterian Support USI, including a printed copy of our bequest booklet, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or phone Megan Waddington at (03) 363-8209. We would love to hear from you.